Welcome to Chinese Film Classics!
Chinese Film Classics is a project, a book, and a website dedicated to making early Chinese films and cinema history more accessible.
Focusing on films made between the 1890s and the 1940s, the website offers:
- English-subtitled versions of over twenty early Chinese films
- A free, self-paced course about early Chinese cinematic masterworks from 1922-1949, with each module featuring a subtitled film and two video lectures
- Resources for learning more about Chinese cinema history, including further viewings, readings, filmographies, bibliographies, and archival materials
This website is a free resource for researchers, students, educators, and anyone interested in:
- World cinema
- Early silent and sound cinema
- Chinese film history
- Modern Chinese history and culture
- Chinese contributions to the cinematic arts
- Contributing to the film studies community
The website is currently under construction and will be built out in 2020-2021. For updates, subscribe to the Modern Chinese Cultural Studies YouTube channel, which hosts the Chinese Film Classics playlist. Please direct any inquiries to the project leader, Dr. Christopher Rea, Professor of Asian Studies at the University of British Columbia.
Read more here about the people and organizations who have contributed to this project.
All material on this website is copyright © Christopher Rea.